Tuesday 17 March 2009

Farewell, Bruno Gianelli

C.J. Craig: I think you should talk to some reporters. You are entitled to the status you've earned.
Bruno Gianelli: The only thing I need status for... I'm doing right now.
C.J.: I'm going to be watching this guy.
Bruno: No, you don't have to watch him...
C.J.: We owe you, Bruno.
Bruno: No. I got paid. But thanks. I'm going to talk to Ashley now.


Ron Silver who played Bruno Gianelli that hard nosed political strategist in the West Wing died on Sunday. Like John Spencer his fellow West Wing actor there was a similarity in his life to that of his character. For John who played Leo McGarry played the part of a man with heart problems and ended up succumbing to a heart attack during the hiatus during the final season.

Whereas Bruno changed allegiance for money, for aiming to achieve the ultimate the 50 State stratagem Silver was principled in his political followings. So when after 9-11 he swing from the Democrats to the Republican cause he did it based on his own beliefs and convictions.

At the 2004 Republican convention he called himself a 9-11 Republican and spoke as a registered Independent:

"Under the unwavering leadership of President Bush, the cause of freedom and democracy is being advanced by the courageous men and women serving in our armed services. The president is doing exactly the right thing. That is why we need this president at this time."


While I disagree with him on his beliefs on that matter I do applaud him for being prepared to go against the Hollywood norm at that time, based on his own conviction.

However, to die at the age of 62 from esophageal cancer means he will never get to play many of those older statesmen role and will always be remembered as by me as the go getter, take no nonsense Bruno.

Sam Seaborn: Why are you so bent on countering these idiot leaflets?

Bruno Gianelli: Because I'm tired of working for candidates who make me think that I should be embarrassed to believe what I believe, Sam! I'm tired of getting them elected! We all need some therapy, because somebody came along and said, "'Liberal' means soft on crime, soft on drugs, soft on Communism, soft on defense, and we're gonna tax you back to the Stone Age because people shouldn't have to go to work if they don't want to!" And instead of saying, "Well, excuse me, you right-wing, reactionary, xenophobic, homophobic, anti-education, anti-choice, pro-gun, Leave It To Beaver trip back to the Fifties...!", we cowered in the corner, and said, "Please. Don't. Hurt. Me." No more. I really don't care who's right, who's wrong. We're both right. We're both wrong. Let's have two parties, huh? What do you say?

No comments:

Post a Comment