Wednesday 4 February 2009

The Movie Quote Game

Got another tag on Facebook and thought I'd share it with you all. I'll reveal the answers as they are guessed either here or there.

Pick 20 of your favorite movies.
- Go to IMDb and find a quote from each movie.
- Post them in a note for everyone to guess.
- NO GOOGLING/using IMDB search functions.
- NO LOOKING AT MY PROFILE TO SEE MY FAVORITE MOVIES!!!

As Jonathan Calder has hat tipped me I big up Rick Vaughan who without the wonders of Facebook would be consigned to the summer of 1991 in my life and a team in Bradford.

Easy one to start

1. Did you hear that? They shut down the main reactor. We'll be destroyed for sure. This is madness.

Star Wars : Episode IV - A New Hope - Alex Wilcock*

2. A:What are they singing?
B: [translating] They run this way. They run that way. They are confused. They are afraid.
A: We are afraid?
[shouts]
A: We are afraid?
B: You are cowards.
A: You *bastards*.

3. A: We were just wondering if, if it is good to just leave a few things to, to chance?
B: We want to give your child the best possible start. Believe me, we have enough imperfection built in already. Your child doesn't need any more additional burdens. Keep in mind, this child is still you. Simply, the best, of you. You could conceive naturally a thousand times and never get such a result.

Gattaca - Will Howells

4. A: I was dreaming about God.
B: What did he say?
A: Nothing. He was playing tennis. Perhaps that's where God is all the time and that's why you can't see Him when you're awake, do you think?
B: I don't know. I don't know about God.
A: Perhaps He's our dream... and we're His.

5. Debi Newberry: You're a psychopath.
Martin Q. Blank: No, no. Psychopaths kill for no reason. I kill for *money*. It's a *job*. That didn't come out right.

Grosse Pointe Blank - Will Patterson
Though Andrew Tate points out it is Minnie Driver talking to John Cusack

6. You traveled the world... Now you must journey inwards... to what you really fear... it's inside you... there is no turning back. Your parents' death was not your fault. Your training is nothing. The will is everything. If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely. Are you ready to begin?

So far Jennie Rigg has correctly indentified this as a Batman movie. Which Mr Wilcock correctly identifies as Batman Begins and were spoken by fellow Ulsterman Liam Neeson as Henri Ducard.

7. A year passed: winter changed into spring, spring changed into summer, summer changed back into winter, and winter gave spring and summer a miss and went straight on into autumn... until one day...

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Jenny Rigg

8. Just for the record, I was only staring at your ass for the first 15 minutes!

Cayote Ugly - Richard Gadsen and yes it is Kevin to Violet (Jersey)

9. Sucking the marrow out of life doesn't mean choking on the bone.

Dead Poets Society - Yousuf Hamid

10. If word got around that I had been liberated for half a million dollars, I could never show my face in polite society again. Diamonds have no value except that which is placed upon them.

11. A: Look at them. They're just asking for it. Maybe the human race deserves to be wiped out.
B: Wiping out the human race? That's a great idea. That's great. But more of a long-term thing. I mean, first we have to focus on more immediate goals.

12. A: Are you classified human?
B: Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

The Fifth Element - Cole007

13. So this affair you're not having - is it not with a man, or not with a woman?

14. A: I mean, there's every reason to suppose [pause]... that the game ultimately derives from the wholly unjustified right of the medieval lord to the unpaid labour of villains and serfs at haymaking and harvest.
B: You know, you're really beginning to get the idea.
A: Thanks.

Another Country - Jonathan Calder

15. I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

2001: A Space Odyssey - Will Howells

16. You wouldn't hit a man with no trousers on, would you?

The Italian Job (1969) - Andrew Tate

17 Aragon: Are you frightened?
Frodo: Yes.
Aragon: Not nearly frightened enough. I know what hunts you.

LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring - Will Howells**

18: Now, explain it to me like I'm a four-year-old.

19. It was not my intention to do this in front of you. For that I'm sorry. But you can take my word for it, your mother had it comin'. When you grow up, if you still feel raw about it, I'll be waiting.

Kill Bill Vol. 1 - Mina Ward

20. I'm lucky, he's lucky, we're all lucky!

Rocky Horror Picture Show - Jenny Rigg

* The fact that a rather well-tongued (as in spoken tongue...ooh you filthy minded lot) gent has partaken on this will mean I'll probably not hear the end of it for week, months or years.

**And he identified Aragon as the main speaker.

15 comments:

  1. 5 is Grosse Pointe Blank: A is Minnie Driver, B is John Cusack.

    16 is The Italian Job, when Camp Freddy comes round to give Michael Caine 'a good going over'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bugger, I was beaten to it while trying to work out No. 1.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Number 9 sound a bit like Dead Poets Society with that Thoreau quote about going into the woods to suck the bone marrow out of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, number 1 is obviously Star Wars (someone's got to say it, ideally in rather a posh, camp way), while number 6 is Liam Neeson meanly undermining his Star Wars I role in Batman Begins, this time as the Zen Absolute Bastard.

    And number 16 has to be Michael Caine in The Italian Job.

    I will never be able to pose as highbrow again, clearly ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry Andrew was actually having difficulty opening my own blog on vista so was guessing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had no luck with the rest yet, though I'm sure I recognise 11 and 13 tickles me, so I'll look forward to their revelation.


    Just for fun, I did a quick troll for two of mine that neither you nor Mr Calder have picked:

    "Do you like gin? It is my only weakness."
    "Here, have a cigar... they're my only weakness!"

    From the same character in the same movie, of course. And from another of my favourites, but by way of a clue:

    "Yeah, I used to go out with his sister."
    "His sister?"
    "Yeah, Phyllis."

    ReplyDelete
  7. A couple of guesses:

    2. Casablanca

    14. Another Country

    Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 8 is Kevin to Violet in Coyote Ugly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well Alex that would be "Withnail and I"

    LOL Gordon Broon as Hal.

    Another Country and Cayote Ugly check.

    Sorry Jonathan all the threads in all the blogosphere this is not the thread for Casabalnca.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nope, quite a bit earlier than Withnail (and "Phyllis..." is a clue).

    I read out 15 in a very bad accent and persistently dropping my jaw, and it sounded just like a statement to the Partliamentary Labour Party.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmm, #12 is definitely Fifth Element and reckoning that #11 is Dogma

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are the second person to say Dogma for #11 will ahve to rewatch to see the similarity to tha ctual answer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 10. Blood Diamond?
    11. Twelve Monkeys

    ReplyDelete