Thursday 4 August 2005

Well Flogged Horse Oversold!!!

So Labour now admit to overselling the advantages of national identity cards.

Would someone like to tell the MP for Linlithgow and Fakirk East? Whoops I've already done that! While I was sat on his right side in hustings meetings in Linlithgow and Bo'ness he said it would be beneficial to combat identity fraud.

But his colleague Tom McNulty says 'We did suggest, or at least implied, that they might well be a panacea for identity fraud, for benefit fraud, terrorism, entitlement and access to public services.

'ID cards might help where fraud and abuse of identity were part of the equation, but they would not solve the problems.'

Charles Clarke has already said ID cards would not have stopped the London Bombings. I raised the Madrid issue as a case in point during the election, the new MP didn't seem to enamoured by me raising that point.

As Simon Hughes said today the biggest problem that the police face is not proving suspects' identities, but that they did what they were suspected of doing.

Anyway I feel another email to the MP on the issue of ID cards is coming soon.

In other news my interview this morning went as well as I could have hoped. I should hear one way or another about that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment