Monday 19 January 2009

A - Z of Bushisms: The Second Term

To celebrate the end of eight years of George W. Bush I've decided to look at the things he has been substantitive and brought joy and pleasure to the world. Here is the A-Z of Bushisms.

Having already covered the first term it is time to look at the last 4 years.

A- Amnesty?: "Amnesty means that you've got to pay a price for having been here illegally, and this bill does that." on the immigration reform bill, Washington, D.C., June 26, 2007

B -Brazil: Wow! Brazil is big." after being shown a map of Brazil by Brazilian president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, Brasilia, Brazil, Nov. 6, 2005

C - Community: "Listen, I want to thank leaders of the -- in the faith -- faith-based and community-based community for being here." Washington, D.C., Sept. 6, 2005

D -Depression: "So I analyzed that and decided I didn't want to be the president during a depression greater than the Great Depression, or the beginning of a depression greater than the Great Depression." Washington D.C., Dec. 18, 2008

E - Erection Election: Who could have possibly envisioned an erection -- an election in Iraq at this point in history?" --George W. Bush, at the white House, Washington, D.C., Jan. 10, 2005

F - Free Markets: "I've abandoned free market principles to save the free market system." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Dec. 16, 2008

G - Gender Confusion: "If you're a younger person, you ought to be asking members of Congress and the United States Senate and the president what you intend to do about it. If you see a train wreck coming, you ought to be saying, what are you going to do about it, Mr. Congressman, or Madam Congressman?" Detroit, Mich., Feb. 8, 2005

G - Germany: "The point now is how do we work together to achieve important goals. And one such goal is a democracy in Germany." D.C., May 5, 2006

H - Hezbollah: "See, the irony is that what they need to do is get Syria to get Hezbollah to stop doing this shit, and it's over." chomping on a dinner roll while talking about the Middle East crisis with British Prime Minister Tony Blair at the G8 summit, St. Petersburg, Russia, July 17, 2006

I - Internet: Maria Bartiromo: "I'm curious, have you ever googled anybody? Do you use Google?"
President Bush: "Occasionally. One of the things I've used on the Google is to pull up maps. It's very interesting to see -- I've forgot the name of the program -- but you get the satellite, and you can -- like, I kinda like to look at the ranch. It remind me of where I wanna be sometimes." --interview with CNBC's Maria Bartiromo, Oct. 24, 2006

J - Joining the Dots: "You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror." interview with CBS News' Katie Couric, Sept. 6, 2006

K - Kennedy, head of: "Finally, the desk, where we'll have our picture taken in front of -- is nine other Presidents used it. This was given to us by Queen Victoria in the 1870s, I think it was. President Roosevelt put the door in so people would not know he was in a wheelchair. John Kennedy put his head out the door." showing German newspaper reporter Kai Diekmann the Oval Office, Washington, D.C., May 5, 2006

L - Literacy: We expect the states to show us whether or not we're achieving simple objectives -- like literacy, literacy in math, the ability to read and write." on federal education requirements, Washington, D.C., April 28, 2005

M - More Better: "We look forward to hearing your vision, so we can more better do our job. That's what I'm telling you." Gulfport, Miss., Sept. 20, 2005

N - Nation's Bicentennial: "You helped our nation celebrate its bicentennial in 17 -- 1976." to Queen Elizabeth, Washington, D.C., May 7, 2007


O - OPEC APEC: Mr. Prime Minister, thank you for your introduction. Thank you for being such a fine host for the OPEC summit." addressing Australian Prime Minister John Howard at the APEC Summit, Sept. 7, 2007

P - Promises, Broken: "I think younger workers -- first of all, younger workers have been promised benefits the government -- promises that have been promised, benefits that we can't keep. That's just the way it is." Washington, D.C., May 4, 2005

P - Punctuation (in history): "I like to tell people when the final history is written on Iraq, it will look like just a comma because there is -- my point is, there's a strong will for democracy." interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer, Sept. 24, 2006

Q - Question, violence: No question that the enemy has tried to spread sectarian violence. They use violence as a tool to do that." Washington, D.C., March 22, 2006

R - Reading I: "[I'm] occasionally reading, I want you to know, in the second term." Washington, D.C., March 16, 2005

R - Reading II: "That's George Washington, the first president, of course. The interesting thing about him is that I read three -- three or four books about him last year. Isn't that interesting?" while showing German newspaper reporter Kai Diekmann the Oval Office, Washington, D.C., May 5, 2006

S - Security (Oval Office): "I remember meeting a mother of a child who was abducted by the North Koreans right here in the Oval Office." Washington, D.C., June 26, 2008


T - Talking Death: "Make no mistake about it, I understand how tough it is, sir. I talk to families who die." Washington, D.C., Dec. 7, 2006

U - Universial Values: "The relations with, uhh -- Europe are important relations, and they've, uhh -- because, we do share values. And, they're universal values, they're not American values or, you know -- European values, they're universal values. And those values -- uhh -- being universal, ought to be applied everywhere." at a press conference with European Union dignitaries, Washington, D.C., June 20, 2005

V - Voices: "People say, well, do you ever hear any other voices other than, like, a few people? Of course I do." Washington, D.C., Dec. 18, 2008

W - War (President of): "You know, when I campaigned here in 2000, I said, I want to be a war President. No President wants to be a war President, but I am one." Des Moines, Iowa, Oct. 26, 2006

W - War (Reminder of): "You see, not only did the attacks help accelerate a recession, the attacks reminded us that we are at war." on the Sept. 11 attacks, Washington, D.C., June 8, 2005

W - Words: "Anybody who is in a position to serve this country ought to understand the consequences of words." with Rush Limbaugh, Nov. 1, 2006

XYZ



Y - Yesterday: Yesterday, you made note of my -- the lack of my talent when it came to dancing. But nevertheless, I want you to know I danced with joy. And no question Liberia has gone through very difficult times." speaking with the president of Liberia, Washington, D.C., Oct. 22, 2008



Z - Zzzz: "I'm looking forward to a good night's sleep on the soil of a friend." on visiting Denmark, Washington D.C., June 29, 2005

One final thought as of tomorrow midday EST this one is so true:

"I can only speak to myself." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., April 28, 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment