Thursday 1 October 2009

Openly Homophobic Paper Fails Again

Shame on you Ephraim Hardcastle in the Daily Fail for this:

"Overtly gay Tory blogger Iain Dale has reached the final stage of parliamentary selection for Bracknell, telling PinkNews: 'I hope any PinkNews readers who live in Bracknell will come to the open primary on October 17 to select their new candidate.

"You don't even have to be a Conservative to attend.'

"Isn't it charming how homosexuals rally like-minded chaps to their cause?"


For starters what has the man's sexuality got to do with anything, especially his ability to apply for or do a job. In fact isn't discrimination on the grounds of human sexuality against the law of the land Daily Fail?

Secondly Pink News tends to interview high profile gay men and women with a story to tell. It gives their readers hope against the over accusing homophobic or just not recognised reality of the MSM like the Fail itself. So obviously when a high profile political event does feature a gay candidate he'll be asked for comment. Iain's full quote to the paper is:

"I'm delighted to be on the Bracknell shortlist. It's the only seat I have applied for and I hope any PinkNews.co.uk readers who live in Bracknell will come to the open primary on October 17th to select their new candidate. You don't even have to be a Conservative to attend."


We all know that Iain is a great fan of open primaries, even if I'm not so sure, he sees it as a way of letting the people have their say. He hasn't said vote for me, but has said turn up if you live in the seat and select your candidate. Hardly a case of rally like minded people to his cause, but asking people who are sometime ostracised by society and indeed have been by the Tory party to get involved in the electoral process.

Update: Iain himself has written about the story, starting with the line 'Just by writing this blogpost, I will probably damage my chances in Bracknell'. It is reported in Pink News and by others including Mark and Andrew. Even Lib Dem Voice got in on the act with a special story of the day round up called Homophobia is Gay when it's against Tories, too. Mark Pack also noticed the mystery of the missing comments on the piece on the papers site.

At the end of the day though Iain has recieved an apology from Peter MacKay of the Daily Mail, which Iain has accepted. But he also writes:

"I think there are two lessons here. Don't take this sort of thing lying down. Fight back and you can get a result. It wouldn't have been possible without the internet, though, would it?

"It is all very well for me to do this. I am in a position to. But what about if it had happened to someone else without the facilities to do what I did today? Think on that."
Update 2 00:40 Looks like we may have been taken for a ride. Iain Dale has just tweeted:

"Yup, judging from the content of the Ephraim Hardcastle today, the apology wasn't in fact from the real Peter McKay at all. PCC here I come."

2 comments:

  1. I live in Bracknell, am gay, do not read Pink News, have voted for the tories in the past, was among the many who ousted Andrew Mackay, and am wholly neutral about open primaries.

    I'm not neutral about the nasty little tabloid newspaper, though. I'd rather read the Sun. At least that rag is honest and open about its views, not sneaky and underhand. Well, no, it isn't, but I do despise the Mail more!

    What's my point?

    Ah yes.

    I think Iain Dale has the right to canvass people to turn up at the primaries, to vote for him, to question him, to heckle him, and to see if he is fit for purpose.

    Why do I care that he is gay or straight? I care that he will represent me well (if he will), and I care that I agree or disagree with his party's policies.

    I don't care if he's left or right handed, after all. I care that he is a decent, honourable person. I care about his personal morality. But I have no interest in the sex of the person he needs to share his life with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't give a damn for anyone's sexuality so long as it doesn't interfere with their professional ethics and I'm tired of hearing about how persecuted gays are in this country. Yes in the past they were I agree, but so were many others.

    When gay people decided to 'come out' or whatever it's called these days and declare it in the public arena, then they should be able to cope with criticism.

    If I were a 63 year old virgin would it matter? Possibly to some if I decided to make that public but to most of my blog readers and friends they really wouldn't give a damn.

    I'm not a 63 year old virgin by the way and I must try harder not to die wondering if I've missed anything. :)

    It's a pity Iain Dale didn't just do a post laughingly mocking the journalist. That I would have admired.

    ReplyDelete