Tuesday 8 July 2008

It's in the Name

Somebody surfed through to here last night looking for the meaning of Tavish. So my curiosity was spiked so I decided to look up the meaning of the three Liberal Democrat leadership candidates names.

Tavish is of Irish and Gaelic origin. A variant of Thomas therefore possibly 'twin', or may also be linked to 'teeve', an Irish word meaning hillside.

Ross is of Scottish and Gaelic origin, and its meaning is 'headland, cape'. A place name in Scotland. May also be derived from the Gaelic word for 'red'.

Michael for Mike is of Hebrew origin, and its meaning is 'who resembles God'.

So we'll either had a hillside, a headland or one who resembles God leading us forward. Considering the ruggedness of Scottish geography and politics not a bad array of names.

6 comments:

  1. Mike Rumbles - looks a bit like God?

    I don't see much of a resemblance to Alex Salmond there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Alex Salmond certainly looks nothing like Robbie Fowler from his Liverpool days.

    Sorry Jeff you're point is what? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Stephen, I've looked your name up and you could quite accurately rename yourself "Monarch of the Glen!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rachel that is quite right and my middle name also means noble or prince. Do you think there's a place for me at Holyrood, even the Palace would do?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I could take both our points and wonder if the Lord our God also has a penchant for pies, but that would be mean.

    Noble Monarch of the Glen? You've done very well there Stephen...

    No idea about my own name but I have a friend who is 'Dark Warrior' and his 1 yr old son's name means 'Little Stream'. I always thought that sounded rather fab...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Jeff that will be peace to you. Same as my uncle though with the other spelling.

    ReplyDelete