Saturday 26 January 2013

When Hubs Cry

Yesterday the Westminster Government announced their proposals for Equal Marriage legislation in England and Wales. Unfortunately for displaced Northern Irish LGBT persons such as I have been for most of my adult live should we get married in England or Wales and then return to Northern Ireland that marriage will only be recognised as a Civil Partnership even if the couple had never been civil partnered.

Therefore I have turned to Prince for the music to sum up my feelings about this.

When Hubs Cry

Dig if you will the picture
Of you and I engaged in a kiss
The minister pronounced us husband and husband.
Can you my darling, can you picture this?

I take you home to my mother
In part of the country we’ve wed
But the homophobes strike a curious pose
And you and I are only civil partnered instead

Maybe they just want the Union to feel part of a bigger club.
Maybe our Britishness don’t matter to them.
Being gay ain’t being British to them.

Maybe we’re just too demanding, saying our blood is not fine.
Wanting equality in marriage of all things
Is pushing section 72 over the final line.

Maybe we’re not really human, not natural at any rate
But in England and Wales you and I are married
Just in Belfast we will have to wait.

Why do they scream we're repugnant
Was it because of something we've said
Is it our smell, our sound how we feel?
Or it is the other sense instead?

Why can't they accept our love darling?
You and I alone in our room
It doesn't affect how they love their wives
Yet this is what it sounds like
When Hubs cry.


(To the tune of When Dove’s Cry by Prince)

No comments:

Post a Comment