Thursday 17 March 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Today I was in the Cathedral City of Armagh where the Roman Catholic Primate of All Ireland and the Anglican Archbishop both have their Bishop's thrones. The reason I was there was for the Yes to Fairer Votes campaign. I also was not able to imbibe in the Black Nectar that is famous across the Emerald Isle (and yes we don't dye it green just for the day that is Americans for you) because I was driving.

I'll put more of the day up later but here are some interesting clips about St. Patrick and his Saint's day (some of it may well be wildly apocryphal).






And finally as this is a Christian celebration the Hymn I Bind Unto Myself Today sung to the tune known as St. Patrick's Breast Plate. Surprisingly YouTube didn't give me a great selection of choral renditions.



But here's a modern adaptation of it from someone who'll soon be a part of the family. Andrew featured in this and my friends Andrew and Ruth Garvey-Williams was giving out a CD which included this up in my ancient familial homeland of Donegal today to mark today.



Tá míle beannacht do Lá Fhéile Pádraig (A thousand blessings for Saint Patrick's Day)

No comments:

Post a Comment