Thursday 10 December 2009

Fake Rolex and D&G Found in Bathgate

The news that fake Rolex Watches and Dolce & Gabbana dresses worth upto £1m have been found in a house in Bathgate takes me back to my days working in H. Samuel the jeweller.

I was once handed a watch and told could I fix the battery in it. Within 5 seconds I said no. the customer looked at be bizarrely and asked why. My response.
  • The second hand stutters and does not sweep.
  • The bezels are the wrong type.
  • Switzerland is not spelt Swizterland.
  • It is too light.
  • The back case has a simple lift off mechanism, rather than Rolex's screw fitting.
  • The 12 hour marker is a chipped cubic zirconia and not a diamond.
  • You've brought it into H. Samuel rather than a Rolex dealer.

As the group did include Ernest Jones who were a Rolex stockists I should really have taken the watch in one hand and a hammer in the other and smashed it to pieces. But I just didn't have the heart and just sent the guy on his way.

However, be wary of what you are buying this Christmas. If you are looking for a named brand make sure it is up to the quality that you would expect it to be. The best way to do this is go to a recognised dealer of that brand. Fakes are not only illegal and poorly made imitations but in some cases can be dangerous and are often made using cheap labour.

No comments:

Post a Comment