Saturday 14 August 2010

Does Barack Obama Read My Blog?


I'm not sure if PoTUS* reads my humble little blog. I did get a number of hits from Washington yesterday so you never know. However, I do know we are on the same wavelength over what I posted yesterday.

Speaking after a Muslim Iftar dinner, breaking the daily Ramadan fast, last night at the White House he said:

"We must all recognise and respect the sensitivities surrounding the development of lower Manhattan, Ground Zero is, indeed, hallowed ground. But let me be clear, as a citizen, and as president, I believe that Muslims have the same right to practice their religion as anyone else in this country.

"That includes the right to build a place of worship and a community centre on private property in lower Manhattan, in accordance with local laws and ordinances. This is America, and our commitment to religious freedom must be unshakeable. The principle that people of all faiths are welcome in this country, and will not be treated differently by their government, is essential to who we are."


Well done to President Obama for taking a stance for what is right and enshrined in the constitution against the upsurge of of Islamaphobia. Separating out the rights of ordinary law abiding Muslims from the responsibility to deal with Al-Queda and other terrorist groups who are not a true representation of their faith. Showing respect for the victims, all victims, of Al-Queda including those on 9-11 and the many Muslim victims too.

A President who is calm enough to get the facts straight, to keep the Constitution in mind and show balance in his comments is someone worthy of the job. If you are reading this Mr President keep up the rational thought patterns even it all around you seem to be losing theirs.



* President of the US for all non-West Wing fan readers.

1 comment:

  1. I am Romanian but I like many Americans! Do not ask me why because I do not know. It is true that all religions should be respected but after what happened with terrorists, with all respect to real Muslims do not know if not the world better strengthened security, surveillance and even religion.
    I ask myself that every man in the world, how they managed to get so many immigrants from all countries in America and Romania still need visas to enter America.
    Why?
    We have evil people among the Romans, thieves and other categories but you Americans who prefer to steal your wallet or do hundreds of other victims?
    Greetings with respect to all!

    ReplyDelete