Tuesday 1 November 2011

A blog post for every metre of a steeplechase

As some of you will now while at Kingston I ran the 3000m steeplechase. This blogpost marks the 3000th blogspot on this blog. So I'm taking 1 blog post out of each of sections of 300 blogs that chronologically make up the time line of this blog.

From 1-300 2 July 2005- 8 March 2006 My Day in the Media Scrum the tale of my rather unusual task one day in the Dunfermline and West Fife by election, but the day that saw the start of Charles Kennedy's rehabilitation as a public figure as he campaigned for the man who is now leader of the party in Scotland.

From 301- 600 3 March 2006 - 9 March 2008 This period included by sabbatical from blogging however it does contain one of my utterances on the Blood Ban "Give Blood a Chance". Talking about the ritual humiliation that men who have sex with men face when the blood wagon calls at their place of work.

From 601- 900 12 March 2008 - 17 September 2008 The section actually kicks off with a story that has echoes of reports this week that Essex teachers were telling victims of homophobic bullying to act less gay. However, in Just How is he Meant to be Discreet? it was a matter of life and death for Mehdi Kazemi who was facing extradition because back to Iran where he could have faced the death penalty for being gay. Fortunately he was granted asylum in the UK on 20 May that year.

From 901-1200 17 September 2008 - 11 February 2009 Was also the period that John Prescott took up blogging, so I turned to William Shakespeare, or is that Anonymous, for inspiration as to how the various stages of blogging take on a life. I think If Will Shakespeare were a Blogger is a good reflection back now after 3000 blogposts.

From 1201-1500 11 February 2009 - 14 July 2009 There was a meme that merely asked you to list the MPs that had been your MP through your lifetime. Me being me took that further providing a pen picture of the various MPs who have been my MP. I've since updated that with one addition.

From 1501-1800 15 July 2009 - 1 December 2009 Was the period when Rupert Murdoch but up some walls, not against flan flingers but against readers. In Rupert's Wonky Newspaper Factory I managed to see a problem for the proprietor, including through the eyes of Oompa Loompas.

From 1801 - 2100 1 December 2009 - 12 February 2010 This is the shortest time period for a set of 300 posts. But it was the period that Gordon Brown after almost 13 years of Labour rule offered AV as a method of electing MPs. Thus with Labour dying breathe, Nick Clegg called it a "miserable little compromise". Here were my first thoughts on Labour's AV offer on 3 February 2010.

From 2101-2400 12 February 2010 - 7 July 2010 It is of course general election time for this candidate, this time as a campaigning blogger. There were a lot of blog posts from the stump, but I think my reaction to the result the following day gives a good place and deserves a mention here. After all I set up the blog so people could find out where I stand on key issues.

From 2401 - 2700 8 July 2010 - 24 April 2011This period features the start of my return to Northern Ireland to the dying weeks of the referendum campaign. On Valentines Day I kind of broke my non-party political commentary by stepping into the issue of civil partnerships in places of worship. Asking why the Conservatives still think they can fob off LGB couples with something different and not equal.

From 2701 - 3000 (well 2999) 24 April 2011 - 1 November 2011. The end of the AV referendum and finally free once more to say exactly what is on my mind when I want to say it. But it seems that I'm still fighting hard, especially here in Northern Ireland with regards to the blood ban. Even in light of what SaBTO said, which I called a "still discriminatory" at the time their report came out, here in Northern Ireland even that is a step too far. But I do blog elsewhere and this is my initial response to the Northern Ireland health minister's first lacklustre comments.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! An impressive achievement! I've not even reached 500 yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete