There are just 4 hours left of 2013, one thing I didn't predict was that I would spend most of this year in Orkney, but how did I do with what I actually said would happen.
Well as is traditional on this blog it is time to look forward to what 2013 will have in stall.
1. Peter Robinson will be ousted as DUP leader and First Minister. I
seriously think that the way that the Protestant/Loyalist/Unionist
community has been in revolt this past month will bring about a split
within the DUP. The hardliners will be out for more blood and those that
want a shared society or are seen too will be further marginalised. The
biggest casualty of this will be the leader, who for the first time
will be forced from office. Somehow Nigel Dodds takes over as leader. He's still there 0 points
2. We will say goodbye to Nelson Mandela, Margaret Thatcher and the Duke of Edinburgh.
Yeah a triple whammy but all three have been in hospital this year and
all three are far from young. I don't think that any of the three of
them will live for a further 365 days. Maggie was the first to go on 8 April. Nelson and the Duke were both hospitalised soon after that. Mandela passed away, after being cared for at home for the final months, on 5 December. ⅔ points
3. Chris Froome will win the Tour de France. After Bradley Wiggins wins the Giro d'Italia Sky decide to name Froome as co-leader publicly for the Tour but in private Froome has been given the nod with Wiggins as his super-domestic, just so he can wear the number 1 for the race as defending champion. Meanwhile in his new team, Omega Pharma-Quick Step, Mark Cavendish returns to Paris in Green and yet again manages to win on the Champs Élysées, he also manages 5 stage wins and the sprinters jersey in the Giro. Well Froome was categorically named as leader for the Tour while Wiggins was racing the Giro as race that Wiggins had to pull out of and subsequently not be able to even start a defense of his title in France. Froomey went on to win, but as for the side prediction on Cav he ran into the new kid on the block Marcel Kittel who took the Green Jersey and the win in Paris. 1 point
4. Pressure mounts on Northern Ireland to rethink Equal Marriage with England, Wales and Scotland all passing legislation to allow equal marriage the Unionist politicians come under increased for their sham-Unionism on the matter of LGBT rights. Well when the Constitutional Convention recommended a referendum on Equal Marriage for the Republic of Ireland there was a second unsuccessful debate before the Assembly on 29 April. I think that is one point
5. Andy Murray kisses a gold trophy. Yeah, I'm sticking my neck out here. In July Andy Murray fulfills every British tennis fan's dream of lifting up the silver-gilt cup inscribed with the words "The
All England Lawn Tennis Club Single Handed Champion of the World". Well no doubt here he did it 77 years of waiting ended 6-4 7-5 6-4 and the last game was a fight. 1 point
6. Jeremy Clarkson will say something so over the top that he is suspended from presenting Top Gear.
Yeah, hard to work out exactly what it is that Clarkson says that could
lead to such action looking at his past history, but he will come up
with something. No Jezza is still there.
7. A DUP elected politician will be caught in a compromising position with someone of the same gender. Big
news for the DUP as they try to carry on an attack on any expansion of
LGBT rights is that one of their own is found to have had a secret lover
of the same gender for years. No the insitutionalised homophobia of the party continues, still waiting for one of their elected reps to be causght out.
8. Alex Salmond drops the plans for a referendum on independence this
becomes inevitable after he is caught telling even more inaccuracies
about what an Independent Scotland will look like. An SNP MSP resigns
and points out that under his plans Scotland would be a puppet state to
too many other nations that being a devolved part of the United Kingdom
is actually the most economically and legislatively liberating option
that there is. Well the inaccuracies have kept coming and the promising of everything is coming. Although with the white paper Salmond appears to be keeping us in Sterling, UK fleets to be allowed to use Faslane, keeping the Monarchy, the control and bail out of the Bank of England. So nil points here.
9. The Republican Party finally concede the need for gun control...
sadly this only happens after an intern working for a Republican
Senator kills a number of GOP Senators and Representatives and staff
with assault weapons he has sneaked in in parts over a number of months.Nothing
10. Two members of Westboro Baptist Church leave to move in together in San Francisco...yeah turns out that they fancy someone of the same sex after all. One of the members is a member of the Phelps family. Well the year started out well with a former member posing for the NOH8 campaign. So maybe 0.5 points.
11. The 2020 Olympics are awarded to Tokyo. The
compact proposal set largely in the harbour area beats Istanbul in the
second round of voting at the 125th IOC Session in September. Spot on here. 1 point
12. The Flag Protests will carry on until Easter. The
protesters will continue in diminishing numbers to protest against the
designated days the Union Flag is flown on Belfast City Hall until
Easter. They run a near riot when on one of the designated days it's
lowered and fail to notice as they are charging City Hall that it is
being lowered to half mast only, to mark the death of the Duke of
Edinburgh. When they carry out one last protest they are shouted at by
members of the public for not showing respect to it being the day of the
Duke's coffin being transported to Westminster Hall to lie in state. Well the nearest lowering of the flag at Easter was for Margaret Thatcher. But the protests were still going on and escalated with UVF flags being flown. There was of course shock when the flag was raised on a extra day to celebrate the birth of Prince Goerge of Cambridge. With another protest a year on this is set to roll on. There are still protests a year on so 1 point.
13. There will be two by elections caused by MPs being charged as a result of the Jimmy Saville investigations. None of the by elections were caused by operation Yewtree so nil points.
So in conclusion that is 6⅙ out of 13 just under 50% right.
Tune in later for my predictions for 2014.