Wednesday 27 June 2012

To Egypt from a non real person

Many of us believe that the right to peaceful association is one of innate human rights. However, if you are gay that appears not to be the case in the Middle East according to Egypt's chief diplomatic representative to the United Nations' Human Rights Council.

At a meeting discussing the universal right of association he said that gay people were not considered 'real people' before concluding with:

"Finally, concerning the highly controversial notion of sexual orientation, we can only reiterate that it is not part of the universally recognized human rights."

So apparently I am not real should I visit Egypt, but more worryingly those who life there are seen as not human. Which means that the authorities will treat them as they see fit or let others do so without protection. Once again I am drawn to the words I learnt for my O'Level English literature from Act III Scene I of the Merchant of Veniece with slight alteration

Hath not a gay eyes? Hath not a gay hands, organs,
dimensions, senses, affections, passions; fed with
the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject
to the same diseases, heal'd by the same means,
warm'd and cool'd by the same winter and summer
as a Egyptian is? If you prick us, do we not bleed?
If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us,
do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?
If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that.
If a gay wrong a Muslim, what is his humility?
Revenge. If a Egyptian wrong a gay, what should his
sufferance be by Egyptian example? Why, revenge.
The villainy you teach me, I will execute,
and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction.

Of course people are human whatever their sexuality. They should be offered the same protection under the law, otherwise vigil antes can run amok even at the rumour that someone is different.

It is a shame that a diplomat cannot be diplomatic in his approach to all the people of his nation.

The fact that I can write a blog and talk about such things shows that I am a real person. My politicians here in Northern Ireland at least all acknowledge my existence and admit that I should be protected under the law with my basic human rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment