Thursday 28 July 2005

IRA Order has been Given

Two hours ago the IRA ordered an end to its armed campaign and says it will pursue exclusively peaceful means.

Many back home in Northern Ireland are sceptical of this news. I for hope this is the genuine step forward I have been waiting for all my life.

I hope the arms that are outstanding are decommissioned swiftly. I hope we see the end of punishment shootings and beatings as well. Also we need to an end to the extortion rackets that also exist which have funded these organisations.

I worked in the Northern Irish Civil Service when the first period of devolution was entered into. I want to see the enthusiasm from politicians of all persuasions to do things for their fellow countrymen restored to that level from the early days.

This should be a major step forward, but I'm worried about how hard line unionists will respond.

Please everyone allow Northern Ireland to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment